3О ЛЕТ
EN
RU
/
Scientific restoration and survey



2019
ARCHANGEL CATHEDRAL
In 2019 the restoration works were held in the western drums and domes of the Archangel cathedral.
On the central pryaslo (vertical partition) of the northern façade and the two western drums the scaffolding was erected, on the drums' domes the roofed polycarbonate pavilions were arranged to plate the crosses with gold. This part was the most laborious and demanding. After the scaffolding was erected, the gilding of the crosses, cross balls and cones was precisely inspected. The last gilding was accomplished in 1980-ies before the Olympic Games in Moscow. For the past years, the gilding severely deteriorated. At the particular places, there were losses of the gilding together with the coating. Crosses' restoration included cleaning of their surfaces from cracked layers with further gilding according to the consistent technology.
Parallel to the gilding, the drums' surfaces were cleaned from cracked daub and old paints. After the cleaning, a finish coat was laid over the brick on the most destructed places of the masonry. The window jambs were especially damaged. After the surface of brick masonry was reconstructed, a finish coat with complex lime mortar and painting with façade limewash were accomplished. The old windows of the drums, set up at the end of the 1970-ies during the façade restoration, were substituted with the new ones. After the outer window frames, being in disrepair had been dismantled, it turned out that inner frames were preserved in a good state with no need for replacement. Inner frames were cleaned from older coating and covered with lacquer. New oak frames were produced and mounted outside. The mounting was accomplished without glass units. The glass units were set onsite after the window blocks had been mounted.
Besides, metal sheets of arcature frieze, window sill drips and roofing of the western drums' domes were cleaned from older paint layers and pained following restoration technology. The works were held by OOO "Resstroy" under the scientific guidance of FGUP CNRPM.
ANNUNCIATION CATHEDRAL
In 2019 fragmentary restoration works were held on the cathedral façades. Dilapidated restoration daub was partly cleaned from the lower parts of the walls, parapets of the south porch and under the socle of the north, south and east façades. Spot daubing and spot painting with façade limewash Caparol were held. Seams on the white-stone steps and the site of the south porch were cleared and caulked in. Seams on the granite steps of the north porch were cleared and filled in with a compound solution.
Restoration works touched upon the white-stone masonry of the socle, damaged blocks were assembled with the false stone. Metal constructions and details of the façades, such as baulks on the south porch, metal brackets of the canopies and the grills, were cleared and painted again. Rain pipes were repaired and their iron fixing system was substituted by the brass one. Drain trays were repaired and painted. Brass sheets and rain pipes were cleared, deprived of fat and painted.
The door aperture leading to the power panel of the western façade was also restored. New door butts were installed, the door frame and the door slab were restored. The metal canopy and its brackets under the entrance were cleaned by washing and painted.
ASSUMPTION CATHEDRAL
According to the restoration project of 2018, restoration of the roof construction, vaults and rooftop of the Assumption cathedral had been continued in 2019. The remained 5 vaults of the cathedral were restored. Before the restoration the surfaces of the vaults were cleared from the debris and the expanded clay that had been used as a heat insulation material; the lower rooftop, made of copper sheets, was dismantled as well.
The dust was removed from the vaults' surface with help of a vacuum cleaner. The vault's masonry was pointed and seams packed with complex lime-cement mortar. After this the vaults were covered with three-layer thermal insulation material, consisting of the steam-proof membrane, thermal insulation layer and three-layer microporous membrane. For ease of upkeep the metal galleries, supported by the constructions of the lower rooftop, were projected in the loft's space. The manholes, leading to the loft in the upper rooftop, were also reconstructed.
The following works had been continued: repairing and thorough soldering of the upper copper rooftop, spot clearing of metal constructions of upper and lower rooftops, their further painting with red lead, painting of the forged baulks with red lead in the cathedral interior.
To provide the loft space ventilation, the copper closure along the exterior perimeter of the arched gables was dismantled through the whole cathedral. There were also mounted nets against birds.
Emergency restoration works of the window assemblies of the north façade were accomplished in the cathedral interior, namely window frames were cleaned and covered with lacquer, new glasses were put instead of the cracked ones. The wooden inside linings were put to their places after the restoration of frescoes on the window jambs had been finished. According to the restoration project of 2018, restoration of the roof construction, vaults and rooftop of the Assumption cathedral had been continued in 2019. The remained 5 vaults of the cathedral were restored. Before the restoration the surfaces of the vaults were cleared from the debris and the expanded clay that had been used as a heat insulation material; the lower rooftop, made of copper sheets, was dismantled as well.
The dust was removed from the vaults' surface with help of a vacuum cleaner. The vault's masonry was pointed and seams packed with complex lime-cement mortar. After this the vaults were covered with three-layer thermal insulation material, consisting of the steam-proof membrane, thermal insulation layer and three-layer microporous membrane. For ease of upkeep the metal galleries, supported by the constructions of the lower rooftop, were projected in the loft's space. The manholes, leading to the loft in the upper rooftop, were also reconstructed.
The following works had been continued: repairing and thorough soldering of the upper copper rooftop, spot clearing of metal constructions of upper and lower rooftops, their further painting with red lead, painting of the forged baulks with red lead in the cathedral interior.
To provide the loft space ventilation, the copper closure along the exterior perimeter of the arched gables was dismantled through the whole cathedral. There were also mounted nets against birds.
Emergency restoration works of the window assemblies of the north façade were accomplished in the cathedral interior, namely window frames were cleaned and covered with lacquer, new glasses were put instead of the cracked ones. The wooden inside linings were put to their places after the restoration of frescoes on the window jambs had been finished.

CHURCH OF THE DEPOSITION OF THE VIRGIN'S ROBE
In 2019 there was replaced a door unit leading to the basement level and were produced the access hatches to the utility supply lines under the floor of the north gallery of the church.
The entrance to the basement level of the church is situated from the western side of its south porch. The door, set here in 1997, was in a poor condition. A new door unit was made out of oak with the finishing of the front-face area and antiseptic finish of door frame flat ends. The door unit was mounted in the existent ingo. After the door unit was mounted, the gap between the door frame and the masonry was made off by sealing foam with further float work along the perimeter. A place, where a lower gird of the door frame abuts the paving, was insulated. After the slab door was hung, the cover strip was mounted.
Two access hatches to the utility supply lines under the floor of the north gallery were produced and mounted. Former hatch covers, made of limestone, were dismantled due to the multiple splits. Constructive elements of the new hatches, i.e. metal frames and hatch carcasses, brass decorative elements and keys, were produced in the workshop and then assembled and adjusted to the place. New hatch covers are made of sandstone as well as the whole floor of the north gallery.
2018
ARMOURY CHAMBER
In 2018 after a visual review of the building façades from the tower vehicle the cleaning and fragmental restoration of white-stone socle, sandstone socle and white-stone framing of the Parade entrance was accomplished. The ornamental door lattice of the emergency exit at the northwest facade was repaired; white-stone pilaster bases of the northwest and court façades were cleaned and painted. Weathered seams abutting the concrete apron to the socles along the south and southwest façades were caulked in. Besides, all front doors of the Armoury Chamber were repaired and painted. The vestibules of visitors and staff entrances were also repaired.
ASSUMPTION CATHEDRAL
Restoration of the Assumption Cathedral, the principal church of the Moscow Kremlin, is one of the priority directions of museum's activity. It is a necropolis of Russian metropolitans and patriarchs as well as a depository of the unique collection of Kremlin icons, applied and decorative art.
For centuries long the cathedral church has been the place, where major state ceremonies took place: grand princes were set for reigning, tsars were crowned and emperors were coronated; bishops, metropolitans and patriarchs were inaugurated. Besides, the Assumption Cathedral regularly hosts divine services.
6000 square meters of ancient frescoes, including unique frescoes of the end of the 15th century, some of which authored by Dionysius, a far-famed icon painter of the epoch of Muscovite state formation, are still preserved in the interiors and on the façades of the Assumption Cathedral. The major volume of the preserved murals was created upon the order of Tsar Mikhail Fedorovich, the first sovereign of the Romanovs Dynasty, and date back to 1643.
During the 20th century, frescoes had been many times restored, but regular divine services and museum display in the cathedral building have an impact on ancient paintings. At the current time, dust and soot can be seen on the frescoes' surface. Some sections have salt efflorescence and detachments of ancient ground-coat paint from the wall. All over the place the restoration toning has changed its colour thereby worsening the exposition view of the authentic ancient frescoes.
The aim of restoration works, planned for the period 2018-2023, is to preserve an outstanding monument of Old Russian architecture and wall painting. The Moscow Kremlin Museums employees worked out a complex program of restoration of architecture and unique frescoes of the cathedral, which makes it possible to carry out work not affecting regular divine services and museum exposition touring.
2017
ARMOURY CHAMBER
Unique architectural monuments of the Moscow Kremlin are always affected by the aggressive environment, such as seasonal temperature drop, air pollution, rainfall with harmful for monuments chemical substances – the main factors answering for their condition. Apart from restoration, conservation works and repair are carried out every year to maintain the façades of the Armoury Chamber in a good state. It is necessary to clean once in a while façades' surfaces, especially white-stone details, from atmospheric and biological pollution.
In 2017 riverside façades were washed and the dust removed. The white stone of pilaster bases of the first floor, white-stone walling of window apertures of the lower cellar, framing of Parade entrance and false-doors were mechanically cleaned from atmospheric and biological pollution; small defects of a white-stone surface were restored; lower parts of the rain pipes were cleaned and fresh-painted.
The restoration took place also in the exposition hall № 8 on the first floor: ornamental lattice on the window apertures was cleaned and painted, window units restored, chuck-holes and cracks in marble sills were caulked in, marble sills polished.
ARCHANGEL CATHEDRAL
In 2017 the northwest and southeast drums of the Archangel cathedral were restored. The works began with installation on the northern façade of the scaffolding to reach the cathedral's roof and drums. Above the crosses of the dome the roofed pavilions were arranged to provide with special temperature conditions and dust isolation during the work, which included plating the cones, cross balls and crosses with gold.
The surface of the drums' walls was cleaned from cracked daub and old paints. At the particular places, a finish coat was laid over the brick. After the surface of brick masonry was reconstructed, a finish coat with complex lime mortar and painting with a façade limewash was accomplished.
The restoration included substitution of the old windows of the drums, set up at the end of the 1970-ies during the façade restoration before the Olympic Games in Moscow. After the outer window frames, being in disrepair had been dismantled, it turned out that inner frames were preserved in a good state with no need for replacement. Inner frames were cleaned from the older coating and covered with lacquer.
New oak frames were produced and mounted outside without glass units. The glass units were set onsite. In the 1970-ies, when the millwork had been replaced, the new glass units were made with a highly vertical proportion. When historical photographs were analyzed, it was decided to return to the original form of the frames.
Besides, metal sheets of arcature frieze, window sill drips and roofing of the eastern drums' domes were cleaned from older paint layers and pained following restoration technology.
An important part of the restoration was the gilding of the cones, cross balls and crosses of the northeast and southeast drums.
The last gilding was accomplished in 1980-ies. For the past years, the gilding severely deteriorated. At the particular places, there were losses of the gilding together with the coating. Crosses' restoration included cleaning of their surfaces from cracked layers with further gilding according to the consistent technology.
2016
ARMOURY CHAMBER
Annual cleaning and minor repairs were accomplished on east, southwest and northwest facades of the Armoury Chamber. White-stone socle, including wallings of window apertures, framing of Parade entrance and false-doors of the east façade were cleaned from atmospheric and biological pollution and washed with water under pressure. Small defects of the white stone were restored and painted. Lower parts of the rain pipes were cleaned and painted again.
At the same time two porches were washed with water and further on seams were pointed and packed.
On the northwest façade white-stone socle was treated against bio-destroyers; the masonry was partly coated. The granite apron along the façade was replaced by the new one. On the first floor of exposition hall №6 the ornamental lattice of window apertures was restored. Door slab of emergency entrance from exposition of the Diamond fund was repaired.
Porch of the Parade entrance and false-door on the east façade were repaired and restored. When the porch was dismantled, the brick masonry of the base turned out to be in a very good state. Seams of the porch plates and steps, made of sandstone, were packed with lead.
Parallel to façade works, the cellar of the Armoury Chamber, equipped with air handling plant, was repaired and restored. When the vibrating daub was removed, the intramural channel was found in the brick masonry of the vault in air handling plant №4. Presumably, it is a fragment of historical intramural channel heating system. For the first time such channels were found in 1983-1986 during restoration in the Armoury Chamber. The masonry condition is good.
The window apertures of exposition hall №6 were restored while the museum kept on working. Frames and overpanels were dismantled and taken to the restoration workshops. Wooden surfaces were cleaned from painting, and dismantled; the mortise joints glued again; wooden cracks were filled in with daub, surface prepared for painting and painted by alkyd enamel. Loops, handles and lock units were restored. Surface of the brass decoration polished and covered with lacquer. The сasements, overpanels and hardware were installed to their original place.
Window units, inner and outer jambs, marble sills were restored onsite. Сhuck-holes and cracks in marble sills were caulked in and afterwards polished. Restoration of window jambs included removal of old paint, preparation before the painting and painting with alkyd enamel. Two window units in the office №2 on the second administrative floor, including hardware, sill panels, inner and outer jambs were restored.
The restoration of the object was held by OOO "MP Tekhkonvent", project design and construction design supervision were accomplished by OOO "Restavrator-M".
ARCHANGEL CATHEDRAL
In 2016 restoration of the eastern façade of Archangel Cathedral and two side chapels abutting to it – of John the Precursor and St Warus – were under restoration. Works began with the removal of later restoration finishing layers practically from all surfaces of the façades. This gave chance to study thoroughly the history of the building process and constructions of this part of the monument during 16-20th cc. Besides, cracked finishing layers were removed during restoration from wooden assemblies of window apertures, window lattices, rain pipes, metal sheets of cornices and overhanging parts of metal sheets of arched gables.
After the façades were cleaned and measured; building and restoration periods were documented, surfaces of white-stone and brick masonry losses were restored. Seams and cracks were caulked in at some parts. After the surface of brick masonry was reconstructed, a finish coat with complex lime mortar and painting with a façade limewash were accomplished. After coating metal elements of façade such as window lattices, metal sheets of cornices and arched gables, rain pipes were pained following restoration technology.
During restoration, the field studies threw a sidelight upon the change of exterior of western façade and side-chapel of John the Precursor.
Of special interest were the results of the study upon tree arched gables of the eastern façade. For the first time, the research took place in 2001. There were found multiple white-stone carved details and mouldings of primal wall top. In the second half of the 17th century, the top of the cathedral was radically changed – white-stone archivolts were re-laid and the decorative elements crowning them were changed correspondingly. On the eastern façade at the arched gables abutments, the original white-stone blocks of archivolts with rough-hewn stone detailing were preserved. Above these blocks, the archivolts masonry dates back to the second half of the 17th century - the time, when a lot of repair work was accomplished.
The tympans ('shells') remained original.
White-stone rosettes above arched gables and at the corners of quadrangle frames (chetveriks) belong to the beginning of the 16th century. The studies indicated that initially the rosettes were paired and above each pair there was a base for phiale. Rosettes were displaced many times.
The primal masonry was largely preserved in the southeastern side chapel of St John the Precursor, except white-stone socle, which was entirely re-laid, and some sections at the top of the wall, dismantled in the 1960-ies and reconstructed with changing of architectural forms.
The probing was made in aperture walling, built in the 1970-ies, of the north façade of the northeastern side-chapel of St. Warus. It showed the good state of jambs and flat white-stone lintel of a small round window.
ANNUNCIATION CATHEDRAL
The restoration works in the cathedral interiors during the 2007-2013-ies were continued at the western gallery in 2016. Besides the restoration, field studies were also held.
Fragment of white-stone socle in the southeast corner of the gallery was cleaned from late coatings and paintings during the restoration. The socle dates back to the building period of 1489 and remains in good condition. The wall, abutting to the socle and dividing southern and western galleries, was also built in 1489. Both door apertures of this wall were studied during the works. The western smaller aperture, currently mured, was broken through the ancient masonry at the latest time and mured up in the middle of the 20th century.
Central door aperture turned out to be original, though remade in the middle of the 17th century, obviously, after the fire of 1547, when cathedral galleries were rebuilt. The brick masonry of the wall was restored, the cracks caulked in, the white-stone blocks with stands of the 16th century uncovered.
Two round white-stone semi-columns (in the southwestern corner of the western gallery and the northeastern corner of the northern gallery) were exposed with the remains of the cushion capitals, redesigned in 1508, when the northern and western galleries were rebuilt in the Renaissance style.
Sections of fusts of the semi-columns were uncovered at the sides of the window aperture (second from the south). Traces of brick-look painting were found out.
Fragments of initial architectural decoration of the gallery were restored and designed as windows for museum exposition.
Ancient fragments of the frescoes were uncovered and the boards strengthened. Strengthening of the found fresco fragments, ancient daubs and paintings was a part of conservation and preventive maintenance on all restoration sites.
The works were held by OOO MP "Tekhkonvent", frescoes restored by the employees of AO MNRKHU under the scientific guidance of FGUP CNRPM.
2015
CHURCH OF THE DEPOSITION OF THE VIRGIN'S ROBE
In 2015 the high south porch of the church was under restoration and repair.
The works began with the dismantling of sandstone slabs on the upper area of the porch. The slabs date back to the 1920-ies and have sagged, which led to water stagnation and soaking of the façade brick masonry.
After the sandstone slabs and cement screed were removed, the waterproofing layer of lead sheets was uncovered. It had multiple gaps and openings of the seams. After the waterproofing layer and cement screed were removed, the brick linings and upper part of the basket arch of the inter-floor construction came to light.
During the working process, there was made a decision to lower the previous level of the porch to one step in order to reduce the soaking of that part of the façade and white-stone portal at the end of the 15th century. For this reason, the slabs of the 1920-1940-ies were replaced by the thinner ones (less than 120mm) and the paving height was reduced owing to the new technologies and materials.
After the arch was dried, the following works were carried out: new layers of heat and waterproof insulation materials, as well as underlayers, installed; sandstone slabs placed; water-diversion system organized.
The door at the south portal of the church was also replaced. A new door unit, made out of oak, was installed not to the former place, but to the clear opening, which allowed reconstructing of the shoulder-like details of the white-stone portal, earlier hewn for the former door unit.
The works were held by the restoration firm OOO "RESSTROY" under the scientific guidance of FGUP CNRPM.
2014
ANNUNCIATION CATHEDRAL
The restoration works in the southern part of the side chapel in 2011-2012 were continued in 2014. Studies of the archive images of the southern façade showed that in the 1930-ies the window apertures of the side chapel part were enlarged. For this purpose about 10 rows of the brick masonry had been dismantled at the lower part of the apertures. The forged lattices were lost. In 2014 four window apertures were restored. Three of them are situated on the southern façade of the cathedral and one is on the western façade. During restoration, window apertures were reconstructed to their original sizes, the metal lattices were restored according to the archive photographs.
The window aperture in the eastern part of the side chapel has a more complicated building history. Part of the building, where it is situated, dates back to the 1550-ies and was rebuilt at the beginning of the 19th century. In ancient times the door led to a separate closet and there was a small rhombic window above it. In 1836 a window aperture with an arched top was made at the place of the mured door aperture on the southern façade, at the same time the entrance to the closet was set on the western wall of the building.
Later, in the 1930-ies, this window aperture was enlarged along the contour of the decorative white-stone façade framing. During the hewing out in the 1930-ies the lower part of a unique diagonally oriented window was partially destroyed. Originally this window was located above the door aperture and was aimed to light up the closet.
After the studies, it was decided to reconstruct the window aperture of the 1830-ies from the façade side. This window was recorded in multiple graphical materials of the middle of the 19th – beginning of the 20th centuries. Dimensions of the aperture and drawings of the lattice as well as the metal sill were reconstructed according to numerous archive photographs.
One-quarter of an ancient door aperture of the 1550-ies was reconstructed according to easily-read brick masonry and traces in the interior, preserved in a good condition. The lower part of this aperture was preserved in a very good state and remained as it was at the end of the 18th – beginning of the 19th centuries. The lower part of a unique window aperture, diagonally oriented and located above the primal door aperture, was also restored. Initial hewn bricks were used to reconstruct its lower part; these bricks were found in the masonry of the 1930-ies, where they were reused. Uncovered fragment of the door and window apertures, reconstructed according to the preserved traces, through light upon the architecture, rare for the Moscow Kremlin of the middle of the 16th century.
Besides the daub layer was strengthened and the frescoes on the vault of the southeastern side chapel were restored. Toning was made on the vault and the lunettes. Lost parts of ornamental wall-painting on the vault and daub cornice were reconstructed. Fragments of the original brick-like wall-painting of the 1560-ies, preserved in the upper part of the dome, were uncovered and strengthened.
PATRIARCH'S CHAMBERS
In 2014 the porch of the southern intramural stair, leading to the museum exposition on the second floor, and entrance to the climate room of the Patriarch's palace, situated in the cellar of the building, were under reconstruction. The following elements were restored: brick masonry, white-stone facing blocks of the socle with a water-repellent treatment, limestone and sandstone floors and sandstone steps, parapet. Besides, the waterproofing layer was arranged on the porch.
The need for porches and stairs by the entrances to the premises of the Patriarch's palace was generated by the level lowering of the Cathedral Square in 1913. The stairs to the cellar were arranged at the beginning of the 20th century to maintain the engineering equipment (heaters and later, in the 1960-ies, the air-conditioning equipment).
In 1944 the Commission for the review of architectural monuments of the Moscow Kremlin Museums noted that together with restoration in the chambers' interiors it was necessary to dismantle the annexe by the southern façade of Patriarch's Chambers, while it disturbed the original view of the monument. The annexe was built in 1934 and situated above the stairs of the cellar.
In 1960-1966-ies the new basements were arranged under the building, the configuration of the first floor was partly reconstructed. At the same time, while the basements were strengthened, the existent cellar was enlarged and the room for air-conditioning equipment was arranged there. Besides, the mured up south intramural stairs were uncovered and restored, the porch arranged.
The restoration design suggested total dismantling of the existent stairs and the porch and arrangement of the new half-pace stair with sandstone steps, low-level white-stone parapet from the southern side and the low-pitched roof, coating only the lower flight and lower platform. It was also planned to erect the porch with two stair flights and an intermediate platform as well as white-stone parapets, leading to the southern stair.
After preparatory work and dismantling of ground-based constructions, porch steps, platform stone blocks and blocks of cellar stairs, there was uncovered major deterioration of the masonry which had lost its structure.
Granite steps lost cohesion with the base and became displaced. Land subsidence led to the deformation of constructions of both stair flight and the southern wall. For this reason, it was decided to dismantle the whole construction, including the bases.
De-installation of the stair flight construction that led to the cellar showed that the masonry of the southern wall of the Cross chamber below the white-stone socle was in a bad condition. Thus, the restoration included the space under the dismantled stair flight, southern and eastern wall of the cellar descent and the part of the southern wall of the Cross chamber.
The base was cleaned to erect the foundation for the southern wall. These works were carried out under archaeological supervision as the cultural layers were involved.
According to the project, the new building, which united the constructions of the stairs with parapet and the descent to the cellar, was erected. Masonry of the new porch was laid down along the brick base, preserved from the former porch. Steps and platforms were paved with sandstone tiles. Brick parapets were covered with white-stone slabs. Reinforced-concrete slab serves as a base for the walls.
Above the southern wall, there was arranged a low parapet higher than the paving level of the square. The southern plane of its facing forms a sole plane with the southern wall of the porch. There was installed a steel canopy above the entrance to the conditioning chamber to shelter the lower platform of the stairs.
After the roof of the former descent to the cellar was dismantled, it became possible to restore the major part of the masonry at the southern wall of the Cross chamber and the southwest pilaster. The losses on the preserved white-stone socle of the 17th century were assembled.
During the restoration separate parts of the deteriorated masonry of the southern wall were repaired for the half-brick depth. The masonry was repaired at the sides of the door aperture, leading to the intramural stair, at the southeast ern corner pilaster of the Cross chamber. Flemish bond was arranged in a strict sequence of headers and stretchers according to the initial bond. The repair work was carried out with the help of oversize brick and complex masonry mortar according to the recommendations of technologists of FGUP CNRPM.
In 2014 repair and restoration of the porch, leading to the southern intramural stairs, and entrance to air-conditioning room were carried out by OOO RPP " Target-Tsel' ". Supervision and project design were held by the specialists of FGUP CNRPM.
CHURCH OF THE DEPOSITION OF THE VIRGIN'S ROBE
In 2014 the façades of the church were restored. The works began with the installation of the scaffolding. The façades and drums were cleaned from later paintings and daubing, certain elements were measured and detailed building and restoration periods were recorded, after that the losses in brick and white-stone masonry were repaired in certain parts. The seams and cracks were caulked. After façades and drums surfaces were reconstructed, a finish coat with complex lime mortar, painting with a façade limewash and waterproofing were accomplished.
During restoration it was revealed that the existent capitals of all façade pilasters are late ones; they were made of brick at the end of the 17th century. The fragments of initial white-stone capitals were found under the major part of the capitals. The sole original capital, preserved in situ, is above the second from the East pilaster at the northern façade of the church. Losses of the white-stone were completed by the special mortar according to the ancient fragments. The capital ends up with two early Moscow goose-like profiles, situated one above another.
During the works, one new capital was made out of white-stone and set above the second from the West pilaster of the northern façade of the church. Façades of the church were initially decorated with the ornamental belt, consisting of terracotta slabs and balusters. As the field studies showed, the ancient belt remained only at the southern façade. At the western façade, all the balusters are the restoration castings, made of cement mortar. At the northern façade, the belt was largely lost in ancient times, when the northern gallery was painted. At the eastern façade, the ancient belt was partly preserved only on the northern apse as a half-hewn relief. The balusters on the altar apses were reconstructed in 1965 according to the preserved traces.
The slabs and the balusters of the southern façade were cleaned from later destructive paint layers in a very delicate manner in order to preserve the engobe of ceramic décor. Parallel to cleaning, the ceramics' structure was strengthened and larger fragments of ornamental belt glued. Lost fragments of slabs and balusters were completed by stone analogue.
During restoration, the northern gallery was under research, which showed that its lower part was totally refaced in the 1950-ies. The upper part was refaced many times and for the current moment, it is various masonry of the 17-20th cc.
The copper roofing of the church quadrangle frame (chetverik), apses, and northern gallery went under repair during the works. The lattice of the eastern part of the northern gallery was repaired. The water pipes of the church were substituted by the ones of smaller diameter as the present pipes with current drain level had a surplus diameter and disturbed visual perception of the church.
The waterproofing layer of the flat rooftop (northern part of the western gallery) was replaced by the new one. After the old waterproofing layer was removed together with the filling, which consisted of later debris, the upper vault parts of this section were revealed. The new filling of spandrel was made out of expanded clay with the pouring of lime-cement mortar. Thermal insulation was laid with further installation of screed and waterproofing layer on the cold mastic. Concrete slabs were used as protection for waterproofing.